항공종사자 건강증진활동계획에 반영되어야 할 근거자료: 3년간의 항공신체검사 결과 분석
Analysis of Three Years of Airmen Medical Certificate for Preparing Aviation-related Health Promotion Plan
성균관대학교 의과대학 강북삼성병원 직업환경의학과1, 대한항공 항공의료센터2, 한국항공우주의학협회3
1Department of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Kangbuk Samsung Hospital, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, 2 Aeromedical Center of Korean Air, 3 Aerospace Medical Association of Korea, Seoul, KoreaCorrespondence to:
Received: January 27, 2020; Revised: February 10, 2020; Accepted: February 24, 2020
This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial License, which permits unrestricted non-commercial use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Korean J Aerosp Environ Med 2020; 30(1): 40-49
Published April 30, 2020 https://doi.org/10.46246/KJAsEM.30.1.40
Copyright © Aerospace Medical Association of Korea.
In accordance with ICAO SARPs, the states should implement appropriate aviation-related health promotion for airmen subject to an aviation medical examination to reduce future medical risks to flight safety. We aimed to analyze the results of the aviation medical examination to use as objective evidence for establishing an aviationrelated health promotion plan. The results of the final issuance of airmen medical certificate from 2015~2017 were collected from the e-sky computer system. The 30 cases (0.3%) in 2015, 22 cases (0.2%) in 2016, 38 cases (0.3%) in 2017 were unfit for flight duty. The 34 unfit out of the total 90 cases were renewal physical examinations. The cardiovascular disease was most commonly in 11 cases, followed by 8 tumors, 4 psychiatric diseases, 3 ophthalmic diseases, 2 respiratory diseases, 2 neurologic diseases, 2 otolaryngological diseases, 1 endocrine disease and 1 digestive disease. The results of this study can be used as objective data in aviation-related health promotion plan. The health promotion activities based on objective data can contribute to improving aviation safety by improving the lifestyles of airmen.
Health promotion,Pilots,Air traffic control,Life style,Physical examination,Certificate
- International Civil Aviation Organization. Aviation personnel forecasts, 2018. Available from: https://www.icao.int/Meetings/ngap2018/Presentations/2.1%20Ananthanarayan%20Sai%20.pdf">https://www.icao.int/Meetings/ngap2018/Presentations/2.1%20Ananthanarayan%20Sai%20.pdf.
- Han BS, Kwon YH, Kim SG, Choi EH, Jang JS, Shin YY. Study of aviation-related health promotion plan for pilot and air traffic controller. Ministry of Land., Infrastructure and Transport, 2019.
- International Civil Aviation Organization. Annex1 to the convention on international civil aviation. Personnel licensing. 10th ed. ICAO, July 2006.
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport. Notice 2019-428. Airman Medical Certification. 2019.8.7.
- Han BS. Operational Status of Airman Medical Examinations in Korea. KJAsEM 2007;17:55-62.
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport. Aviation Medical Examiner’s Manual. 2013.
- Buley LE. Incidence, causes and results of airline pilot incapacitation while on duty. Aerosp Med 1969;40:64-70.
- DeJohn CA, Wolbrink AM, Larcher JG. In-flight medical incapacitation and impairment of U.S. airline pilots: 19931998. Washington, DC: Federal Aviation Administration, Office of Aerospace Medicine, 2004: DOT/FAA/AM-04/16.
- International Civil Aviation Organization. Health Promotion Amendment (Amendment 173 to Annex 1), 2017. Available from: https://www.quaynote.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/ICAO-Health-promotion-London-2017-Ansa.pdf">https://www.quaynote.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/ICAO-Health-promotion-London-2017-Ansa.pdf.
- Harper CR, Kidera GJ, Cullen JF. Study of simulated airline pilot incapacitation; Phase II - Subtle or partial loss of function. Aero Med 1971;42:946-948.
- Evans S, Radcliffe SA. The annual incapacitation rate of commercial pilots. Aviat Space Environ Med 2012;83:42-49.
- Statistics Korea. Annual Report on the Cause of Death Statistics (2018), 2019.
- Houston S, Mitchell S, Evans S. Application of a cardiovascular disease risk prediction model among commercial pilots. Aviat Space Environ Med 2010;81:768-773.
- Kwon YH. Medical Status of Civilian Pilots Over 60 Years of Age. KJAsEM 2014;24:1-4.
- Han BS, Kwon YH, Kim SG, Choi EH, Jang JS, Shin YY, et al. Development plan of licence holders health management system. KJAsEM 2019;29:67-71 .